Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Lest We Forget

November 11th

Remembrance Day

Does anyone really remember anymore? I know I do. Remembrance Day in my household was a very sacred and sombre day of remembrance. My Grandfather died in the Korean Conflict when my dad was just a baby. He never got to know his father, we never got to know our grandfather. What I did get to know is that my grandfather was a true and honourable man and, despite never getting to know him, I love him with all my heart and he is a hero.  I don't just remember him on November 11th. I remember him always. For me, respecting Veterans and deployed soldiers is a part of my everyday life.

As our Veterans are getting older, more and more of them are passing away and taking their stories with them. The horror of what they went through is diminishing. It was so long ago that our generation and the generations to come have no true concept of what war really is. The depiction of their stories is passed over on The History Channel for today's concept of reality by watching Jersey Shore.

A convenient day off to get us ready for Christmas is what November 11th has become. Retail stores are packed; people are going about the day as usual. It saddens me to no end that there is no reverence left in the day that is set aside to honour the individuals that have fought to give us this freedom to be able to do as we please.

Freedom is NOT a right... it is a PRIVILEGE.  We have become a society where that concept has been lost. Our troops are deployed overseas at this very moment fighting for the rights of others to have the very basic freedoms that we take forgranted. These brave men and women are representing our Country... representing US.  The very least that they deserve is our respect on one day.

I am not asking anyone to sit at home on November 11th and be sullen for the whole day, but please, take a few minutes, reflect, appreciate, honour.  Talk to your kids if you have them and explain to them that this day is not just a day off school. Let them know how very important our Veterans are and our troops that are deployed overseas. 

Lastly... even if you may not support the initiatives that have our troops deployed overseas, support the TROOPS.

Lest we forget...

I love you Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment