Thursday, December 9, 2010

Alert me... medically...

I admit it, I have purchased many a Medic Alert bracelet/necklace over the years. They have either gone unworn or have been lost. I have only had one that I have actually liked and it was quite expensive and special ordered. Of course, that one was lost when the chain broke and the pendant disappeared. Since that time, I have not worn a Medic Alert anything.

This is a fairly dangerous endeavour for my health. Well, I guess not really unless I fall into unconsciousness and can't speak or get into some kind of horrible accident and let's hope *knocks wood* neither of those things happen. Unfortunately, because of my chronic health problems, the first problem is a likelihood so the necessity of a Medic Alert something is somewhat necessary.

Now... because I have Fibromyalgia (that's what they tell me) and some other problems involving joints and muscle pain and whatnot, wearing jewellery hurts. Sometimes the weight of a necklace is puts enough extra stress on my neck that the pain is that much more unbearable. It seems ridiculous to even type that; I can't imagine how ridiculous it must be to read. The same premise exists for bracelets. I seldom wear jewelery of any kind so the idea of wearing jewelery every.single.day is just not in my realm of possibilities.

I am seriously contemplating a Medic Alert tattoo. I have been contemplating this for several years now. As the years pass, I realize more and more I need to get this done. I have read several articles online that EMTs do not look for Medic Alert tattoos and that they are more often overlooked than recognized. This frustrates me and I wonder then, is there any point to my having it done? 

My plan, the Medic Alert symbol in full colour, minimum 2 inches, on the inside of my wrist. It will say "see ankle" underneath it, as I do not have enough space on my wrist to facilitate all my allergies (LOL)  On my ankle/lower leg I would have, again, the Medic Alert symbol in full colour with a list of my allergies in a very legible, easy to read, well-spaced font.  Granted, it won't be a "pretty" tattoo, but it is meant to save my life so pretty isn't the point.

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting idea! I like it but the big question is will any of the medical personnel even give it a second glance? They tend to over look people's tattoos as irrelevant

    ReplyDelete