Monday, October 11, 2010

Gravy thou art my nemesis!

Another Thanksgiving down, the dishwasher is humming, my pants are uncomfortably tight and yet again the gravy has bombed!

I don't know what it is about the fine art of gravy-making that escapes me, but it does. I have tried everyone's tips and tricks to no avail. I can make an alfredo sauce like nobody's business but ask me to make a gravy and there is absolutely no hope! Tonight's gravy would not thicken no matter what I did. I finally had to stop adding thickeners, otherwise it would have just tasted like paste.

Oh well, nobody starved. The turkey turned out so tasty, despite waking up this morning and it still being frozen solid. All the side dishes turned out great. Roger did a smash up job on the mashed potatoes. In spite of the gravy fiasco, we did end up with a rather delicious turkey "sauce" ha ha!

The most important thing was I got to be with my family. I could have been eating peanut butter sandwiches and I would have been just as happy. I'm very thankful for Roger, Katy and Zac... oh and Theo too! :)

1 comment: